Bavarian Style Soft Pretzels
created by: Kris
A classic German snack cooked in a baking soda bath instead of lye.
- 1Dissolve yeast in 1 1/2 cups warm water. Stir in 1/3-cup brown sugar and flour. Knead dough until smooth and elastic.
- 2Heat oven to 475°f. In a saucepan, measure 2 tablespoons baking soda to each cup of water. Put enough water to fill the saucepan at least 3 inches high. Bring soda and water mixture to a light boil and set heat to simmer. Make sure the baking soda is well dissolved.
- 3Tear off some dough and roll a long thick pencil shape with your hands. Pick up both ends, cross to form rabbit ears and then twist the ends and pull them back to the rest of the loop. Place aside on lightly floured surface and let rise a few minutes.
- 4Place pretzels one at a time in water/baking soda mixture for 10 seconds on each side or until the pretzel dough is light yellow in color. Remove the pretzel from boiling water and place onto a salted a cookie sheet. Do not grease the sheet!
- 5Salt the top of pretzels with course ground sea salt. Place cookie sheet with pretzels into the oven for 10 minutes or until pretzel is golden brown. Enjoy while warm.
customize this recipe
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1.5 cup warm water
- 0.33 cup brown sugar
- 4.5 cup all purpose flour
Similiar recipes will show up here once you start creating your recipe
Nutrition info will start showing up here
You can adjust the units and measures here