created by: Kris
A vegetarian staple from India.
- 1Rinse the lentils several times in cold water. (I have skipped this stepped and it turned out just fine)
- 2Add the lentils, water, and tumeric to a pot. Bring to boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook until tender... about 35 minutes.
- 3Toast the cumin seeds in half the oil. When browned and fragrant add the oil and cumin seed mixture to the pot of lentils.
- 4Fry the onion in the rest of the oil until translucent. Add the tomatoes and fry for another few minutes. Add the hot mixture to the pot of lentils.
- 5Season with salt, garnish with cilantro, and server with rice/quinoa.
customize this recipe
- 1 Cup Lentils
- 2 Cups of Water
- 1/2 Can of Tomatoes
- 1 Onions
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric
- 5/8 Teaspoons Cumin Seeds
Similiar recipes will show up here once you start creating your recipe
Nutrition info will start showing up here
You can adjust the units and measures here